Search

Longtime Pequot, PR-B activity directors retiring - Detroit Lakes Tribune

cicingwos.blogspot.com

Randy Schwegel is set to retire after 40 years in the PR-B district - first with Backus High School and then with the combined school - serving as a teacher and coaching before taking over as AD 16 years ago.

Marc Helmrichs has spent more than 30 years as an activities director, the past 14 at Pequot Lakes. His retirement takes effect June 30.

Both said it was simply the right time to step away, professionally as well as personally.

“I have nine grandkids now that are getting older,” Schwegel said. “I'll go watch my sons coach football on Friday nights, and maybe take a trip here and there. We have a son in Florida and her daughter in North Carolina, and people tell me it's warmer there in the wintertime.”

WDAY logo

listen live

watch live

Helmrichs' wife, Brenda, retired from the district last year, and the two hope to travel, play some golf and “enjoy what central Minnesota has to offer.”

“The district is in good shape,” he said. “I just feel like I’m ready to move on.”

Helmrichs and Schwegel said the little things that kept the job fresh and interesting are what kept them coming into work every day - little things that would often be different from day to day.

“I think there's a certain rhythm to it, year to year and season to season,” Helmrichs said. “Like any profession, there's certainly some things that are routine and possibly even mundane, but there are also a lot of things that are new and refreshing or exciting.”

“When we were all growing up, you got up in the morning and went to school and you said, ‘School sucks,’” Schwegel said. “When I got through college and started teaching, I thought, ‘You know what? School is a pretty neat place.’ When I was teaching - and even as an AD - it was something new every day … Some kid will come in with something that happened to them or happened with their families, and it is constantly changing. I look forward to seeing those kids every day.”

Schwegel is also stepping away as head coach of the Tiger girls’ basketball team, and said it was important for him to step away when the team was in a “good place.”

“Whoever takes over will start out on a good note, rather than trying to rebuild a team or something,” Schwegel said. “I’ve done this a long time, and I’ve enjoyed it, but someone else needs to come in.”

--- --- --- --- ---

“That everyday contact with students is what I’m going to miss - teachers and staff here too, but the everyday communication with kids … There will be days they come in here and they will just sit down and start talking for five minutes. That’s the kind of thing I miss, and I’ll miss that every day.” - Randy Schwegel

--- --- --- --- ---

He said he would still be willing to scout for the girls’ team and come in to practice occasionally, but thought it best to give the new coach the opportunity to do things his or her own way. He did say he would “absolutely” be in the stands to cheer on PR-B in every sport as often as possible.

Though both are ready and excited for this next step, Helmrichs and Schwegel both said they will miss the interactions the job provides. For Helmrichs, it is the interaction with students, coaches and community members at the various events hosted in the school.

“When you have games, it is similar to hosting people at your house, only on a much bigger scale,” Helmrichs said. “I think I’ll miss the interactions. That’s the fun part of what we do, whether it’s a game, tournament, musical or what have you.”

For Schwegel, the interactions he will miss most come from the students who have been stopping by his office, for various reasons, over the years.

“That everyday contact with students is what I’m going to miss - teachers and staff here too, but the everyday communication with kids … There will be days they come in here and they will just sit down and start talking for five minutes. That’s the kind of thing I miss, and I’ll miss that every day,” he said.

--- --- --- --- ---

“When you have games, it is similar to hosting people at your house, only on a much bigger scale. I think I’ll miss the interactions. That’s the fun part of what we do, whether it’s a game, tournament, musical or what have you.” - Marc Helmrichs

--- --- --- --- ---

Through his time in Pequot Lakes, Helmrichs has been grateful for the support of the administration and community, the efforts of the coaches and student-athletes and, of course, the support of his wife.

“You can't do this job, in my opinion, without a very supportive spouse,” he said.

Schwegel also expressed his gratitude for the community supporting PR-B activities, saying the residents of the two small towns have been incredibly giving.

“I don’t know where else I would have raised my family that could have been better than this,” he said. “My wife and I are going nowhere. We love it here.”

Dan Determan may be reached at 218-855-5879 or dan.determan@pineandlakes.com. Follow him on Facebook and on Twitter at http://www.twitter.com/@PEJ_Dan.

Let's block ads! (Why?)



"activity" - Google News
June 06, 2020 at 08:00PM
https://ift.tt/2Uhy3qk

Longtime Pequot, PR-B activity directors retiring - Detroit Lakes Tribune
"activity" - Google News
https://ift.tt/3ddCXMh
https://ift.tt/2WkO13c

Bagikan Berita Ini

2 Responses to "Longtime Pequot, PR-B activity directors retiring - Detroit Lakes Tribune"

  1. Silahkan bermain Tebak ANGKA bersama kami di DEWALOTTO kami juga menyediakan permainan SBOBET, IBCBET dan SABUNG AYAM
    langsung daftar dan bermain minimal depo hanya 20 rb saja silahkan ADD WA +855 888765575 Terima Kasih admin...:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haloo.. penggemar p0Ker
    I0nQQ*c0m - Komunitas 0nline terbesar di Indonesia, whatsapp +855 1537 3217
    Bisa dp via pulsa juga (min 25rb)

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.